How should I take clomipramine (Anafranil)? What happens if I miss a dose? What happens if I overdose?
- Take clomipramine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take each dose with a full glass (8 oz) of water.
- Clomipramine may be taken several times a day or in one daily dose (usually at bedtime). Follow your doctor's instructions.
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with clomipramine. The interaction could lead to potentially dangerous effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit and grapefruit juice with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor.
- It may be 4 weeks or more before you start to feel better, but do not stop taking clomipramine without first talking to your doctor.
- Store clomipramine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- If you miss a dose take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Symptoms of a clomipramine overdose include seizures, confusion, drowsiness, agitation, hallucinations, and low blood pressure (dizziness, fatigue, fainting). If you overdose seek emergency medical attention.