There are many possible causes of vaginismus. They are briefly summarized below:
- Pain in the vagina, which leads to fears of this pain at the next love play and to the woman tightening her pelvic floor muscles.
- Fear of pain, the penis, pregnancy or an aversion to the partner.
- Certain norms about sexuality in the education.
- Religious taboos.
- Traumatic experiences like a painful deflowering, assault and rape, sexual abuse or other harmful events.
Factors in the relationship like resentment and negative feelings about
the partner, sexually and in a broader sense.
- Clumsiness of the partner.
- Insufficient foreplay and insufficient arousal.
- Personal difficulties that become evident in the relationship.
- Traditional ideas about sex.
All these factors lead to thoughts or feelings that make the pelvic floor muscles tighten when the penis or tampons come near.