Ads from Google:

Google ad
End of ad
Google Adsense ad
End of ads.

Do I Need Professional Help, Intervention of a Physician or Psychotherapist?

Abstract: Lists a number of questions you can ask yourself to decide if you need professional help, intervention of a physician or psychotherapist?

Web4Health logo
psychologist Independent medical expert answers on psychiatry and psychology

Do I Need Professional Help, Intervention of a Physician or Psychotherapist?

Intelligent natural language question-answering in the area of psychology and psychiatry. Ask a simple question  Local help Info

Go the top of the page Top Forum iconDiscuss this Forum iconGet expert advice Printer Print
Written by: Martin Winkler
First version: 22 Jul 2008.
Latest revision: 24 Aug 2008.

How do I know it is time to look for professional psychological psychotherapy? Do I need intervention of a physician or psychotherapist


Many people are still afraid to talk about psychological problems or difficulties in their relationship. But some of them might feel the need to talk to someone, who is an experienced professional. No online information or counselling could replace this personal consultation!

You should consider professional advice, if your personal problems are affecting your quality of life and social functions at work or at home for more than a month. If your problems are long-lasting people tend to adjust in a dysfunctional way, using food, alcohol, drugs or overworking to reduce frustration or severe psychological problems. This must cause severe problems on the long run.

You should talk to a skilled professional, if

  • You worry all the time and do not find an answer
  • CanĀ“t stop negative or obsessive and compulsive thoughts or behaviours
  • Feel out of control of recurrent negative thoughts, images or flash-back due to past traumatic experiences
  • Feel dysphoric and irritable or nervous for a longer period
  • Feel depressed or anxious for more than two weeks.
  • Your problems or thoughts affect your sleep or ability to relax.
  • You notice a change of eating habits, alcohol consumption, use of inappropriate drugs or other behavior to "reduce" your problems
  • You need someone to talk about interpersonal problems

There are many types of mental health experts:

  • Your local doctor (GP)

    Usally your doctor is familiar with the impact of psychological and psychosomatic issues on your health. It can be important to exclude organic disorder (like thyroid disorders) and to check your actual medications. The doctor will be able to give a first opinion about the severity and appropriate treatment choice. They know other specialized professionals for your problem and can coordinate the therapeutic process. In case of severe actual impact your every day life the doctor may also prescribe short-term medications to reduce sleeping problems or severe symptoms of anxiety or start an antidepressant medication

  • Psychologists

    After completing a university education most clinical psychologist specialize in one special form of psychotherapy (e.g. cognitive-behavioural therapy, gestalt therapy, psychoanalytic therapy). They get a special education and training about mental diseases with a substantial scientific background. The psychotherapeutic education offers special skills and experiences to apply it in a professional setting. Psychologists are licensed and usually get paid by the health insurance system.

    The psychologist will collaborate with you to identify and describe your problem and establish different possible treatment options to cope or change the problem. This might include changing behavior, attitutes or establishing new skills (e.g. communication, problems solving, emotional regulation, relaxation). So you can find constructive ways to deal with situations that are beyond your control.

Intelligent natural language question-answering in the area of psychology and psychiatry. Ask a simple question:
Local help Info
Google ad
End of ad
Disclaimer: The documents contained in this web site are presented for information purposes only. The material is in no way intended to replace professional medical care or attention by a qualified psychiatrist or psychotherapist. It can not and should not be used as a basis for diagnosis or choice of treatment. If you find anything wrong, please notify us at .
Go to top of page To top of page
Web4Health in other languages: Finnish German Greek Italian Polish Russian Swedish
Copyright 2003-2017 Web4Health.
Web4Health was selected as finalist for the 2008 Stockholm Challenge Award
Translate Web4Health
We seek voluntary translators who are interested in translating Web4Health to new languages. We can provide the servers, and pay you 50 % of the income from ads on pages, which you have translated. We are especially interested in translators from German To English, From German, Swedish or English to French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Finnish, Polish, Farsi, Russian.

Advertise here
Reach 300 000 visitors reading one million pages for a cost of 600 US $/month.