Why do I experience a worsening of sleep after using a sleeping pill? What is rebound insomnia?
Many sleeping pills have a negative influence on the sleep architecture, and cause non-restorative sleep.
Rebound insomnia is defied as a worsening of (at least) one of the following parameters compared to the time before srarting drug treatment:
- sleep latency = time until you fall asleep
- nocturnal awakenings = waking up at night
- total sleep time
- sensation of non-restorative sleep
- diurnal fatigue
- worsening of anxiety / tension
Drugs with moderate or severe rebound insomnia effects are :
- Triazolam (Halcion)
- Midazolam (Dormicum)
- Brotizolam (Dormex, Noctilan, Lendomin)
- Loprazepam (Dormonoct)
- Lormetazepam (Noctanid)
Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol, Fluscand)
Sometimes, withdrawal effects or hang-over cause additional complaints for the patients.