What is the role of a physician in the medical field?
Some roles of people working in medicine:
- General practitioners are doctors who handle all kinds of illnesses. They are often the first doctor you go to, and their overview of your problems help them understand the relation between your different problems.
- Specialists are doctors specializing in particular diseases, for example an expert on eye diseases or an expert on stomach diseases.
- Psychiatrists are medical doctors specializing in mental disorders. Some, but not all, psychiatrists are also psychotherapists.
- Nurses are people doing much of the work on handling people who are ill. Also nurses can specialize, like operating-room nurses. They often assist doctors in their work.
- Psychologists are experts on diagnosing psychological problems. They often use pscyhological tests. They are often employed by organizations to solve psychological problems which occurs in the organization.
- Psychotherapists are experts on treating psychological problems by talking to the patient. A psychotherapist can have base competence as a psychologist or psychiatrists, but with additional education to become a psychotherapists. More information. Psychotherapist use different psychotherapeutical methods, such as Gestalt therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy.
- Medical technicians are experts on machines used in medicine.
- Naprapaths are experts on treating pain by massage.
- Physiotherapists are experts on learning to relieve illness by gymnastics.
- Chiropractors are experts on treating back and limp pain by pulling limbs.
- Acupuncturists are specialists on giving acupuncture.
- Pharmacists are experts on medicines.
- Medical teachers can belong to any of the classes above, but have additional competence allowing them to teach people, for example teach people who strive for competence as psychotherapists.