What is the most important information I should know about carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Epitol, Tegretol, Trimonil, Hermolepsin)?
- Rarely, carbamazepine may cause serious blood problems. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop any of the following symptoms, which may be early signs of potential blood problems: fever, sore throat, rash, sores in the mouth, easy bruising, or red or purple bruising.
- Do not stop taking carbamazepine even if you feel better. It is important to continue taking carbamazepine to prevent seizures from recurring.
- Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Carbamazepine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking carbamazepine. Alcohol may increase drowsiness caused by carbamazepine. It may also increase the risk of seizures.
- Carbamazepine may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. Use a second method of birth control while taking carbamazepine to ensure protection from unintended pregnancy.