Five of the following symptoms must be present and at least one of them must be 1, 2, 3 or 4:
- Depressed mood or dysphoria (a feeling of low mood, irritability,anxiety and/or despair)
- Anxiety or tension
- Affective lability
- Decreased interest in usual activities
- Concentration difficulties
- Marked lack of energy
- Marked change in appetite, overeating or food cravings
- Hyperinsomnia or insomnia
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Other physical symptoms, i.e. breast tenderness, bloating
Symptoms must interfere with work, school, usual activities or relationships.
Symptoms must not merely be an exacerbation of another disorder.
Criteria A, B and C must be confirmed by prospective daily ratings for at least two menstrual cycles.