Besides physical and mental dependence, the use of heroin has the following risks:
- Overdose, often fatal because of slow respiratory failure. An overdose can be caused by ingesting too much heroin at once, by using the same dose as always but after a clean period, by using heroin that is unusually pure.
- Inflammation and infections because of careless injection.
- Failure of discovering diseases, because heroin suppresses pain.
- Irregular menstrual cycle that can even stay away completely.
- Withdrawal symptoms with newborn babies due to addiction of the mother.
- Sometimes lethal effects when heroin is used in combination with other narcotics; the effects can intensify and lead to death.