Advantages with Group Therapy:
- Group therapy usually costs much less. One therapist charges, for example, 100 /month for group therapy 90 minutes once a week, and charges 80 /month for one 45-minute session.
- Meeting other people with problems can give a wider perspective of your own problems.
- Listening to other people helps you understand that you can view and handle problems in more than one way.
- Other people can give encouragement and emotional support; a general feeling for the human condition: "We are all in the same boat."
- Group therapy is of special value in treating problems involving communication with other people, such as social phobia (shyness).
Advantages with Individual Therapy:
- No one except the therapist will know your secrets.
- The therapist gets more time to handle your particular problems.
- You can often penetrate deeper into your inner problems than with group therapy.
- You do not have to listen to other people, which may feel better if you have lots of your own problems.
- You can arrange a time which suits you and you do not have to co-ordinate your calendar with other people and available group therapy slots.