If someone has the following symptoms maybe they have depression as an illness and they do not simply feel sad or low:
- Pervasive low mood and tearfulness, unresponsive to and out of keeping with current circumstances.
- Other mood tensions including tension, irritability and anxiety.
- Insomnia (typically waking early)
- Reduction in appetite, weight loss and constipation
- Lack of energy and tiredness/lack of stamina
- Loss of libido
- Loss of concentration/forgetfulness
- Feelings of low self-esteem, guilt and helplessness
- Thoughts of suicide