Is ADHD caused by frontal lobe dysfunction? What is the influence of frontal lobe dysfunction? What are executive functions?
The frontal lobe of the brain is a very important part of a complex cognitive processing system, and has many connections to different areas of the brain. It has a special role in planning and organising different tasks like a "supervisor". Many aspects of everyday life are mainly controlled by the frontal lobe system:
- Decision-making and planning of new situations
- Error detection and correction and developing plans for trouble-shooting
- Technically difficult or new situations with demand for new solutions
- Resisting temptations and habitual responses
- Impulse control and dealing with frustrations
Impairments of the executive functions will cause severe problems to adapt to new situations.